Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekend Moving Adventures

Sorry I haven't written the past few days. I have been extremely busy moving. Also, I haven't had internet since Friday and it's hard to blog on my phone. I'm using a friends computer, so I can't upload photos yet, but as soon as I get internet at my new apartment I will share plenty with you! Ok so let me tell you about my weekend.

As of Friday our sublease moved everything out of the apartment to her new place. I got home around 10:00pm that night and the place was so empty. I mean obviously I knew it would be, but seeing it made it real. Erica and I were planning on sleeping on a blow up mattress. Well when I got there and blew it up, I realized it was only a twin size....awesome. Erica ended up sleeping on the couch at our friends apartment and I slept on the mattress.

Since I was extremely exhausted, I decided I didn't want to go out Friday night. I was lying on the blowup mattress ready for bed and next thing I knew Heather (the girl who we subleased from) and a few of her friends came over to paint. Needless to say I felt like a complete loser being in an empty apartment all alone in bed at 10:30pm on a Friday night. It made me realize I need to start making new friends asap.

Saturday morning Erica and I went to meet up with the tenants from the apartment we were moving into. We paid them for a few things they were leaving for us and we got the keys. We were so excited that in less than 24 hours we would have our own place.

Erica decided to call the storage place to let them know we would be moving out the next day. The storage place informed us they don't open until 10:00am on Sundays and we had movers scheduled for 8:00am. Erica finally arranged for the movers to switch their appointment with us and move us at 10:00am, but they had another appointment at 1:00pm so they had to be done quickly. This was obviously fine with us since that meant we didn't have to pay them as much.

Well we realized with such a limited amount of time to move on Sunday, we were going to have to move all of the stuff from out sublease to our new apartment on our own. So around 9:00pm on Saturday night we packed everything up, hailed two mini van taxi's and loaded up all of our stuff and took it to our new place. After throwing all our boxes on the floor, we agreed we deserved a night out in our new neighborhood. We went to a couple different places and decided we are going to love living there.

Since our storage unit was in Long Island City (about a 30 minute subway ride from our new apartment), we had to wake up early. After we were up, we realized we forget to get all of our stuff out of the bathroom at our sublease. I had no face wash, toothbrush or soap. Needless to say I felt gross all day.

As we were getting ready to go to the storage unit, the movers called and told us they were running behind and would meet us at 10:30. Subways always run slower on the weekends and as we wait for our train, 4 uptown trains and 3 downtown trains pass us before we finally see ours.

Upon arriving at the storage unit, we find out the movers in fact don't have a truck, but a van. Immediately we are scared all of our stuff isn't going to fit. They assure us everything will be fine and begin unloading our unit. Two hours later they finally have the truck loaded, but of course not everything fits. Erica has to take a cab with some boxes while I ride with them to let them into the apartment.

They begin to unload all of our stuff in a hurry because they are late for their next appointment. As they are almost done we ask how much we owe them to write the checks. They tell us they don't accept checks, but cash only. Erica and I both have cash on us so we say ok. They told Erica they charged $60/hour. They worked for 3 hours so we were ready to pay them $180.

They began to argue with us saying we owe them more money. They said it would normally take 5 hours to move all of our stuff, but since they were so busy they hurried for us. They wanted us to pay them for 5 hours even though the only worked for 3. They also said since it was the 31st we should pay them more since it was a busy day.

Erica and I argued with them and told them we refused to pay them for time they didn't work, they never told us it would cost more to move today and we could tell they were in a hurry because all the furniture was scratched. Needless to say they weren't pleased and basically started yelling at us. We paid them $200 and told them to get out of our apartment.

After they left Erica and I began to put together our apartment. Our first task was setting up our beds. This was quite comical, but eventually we did it. We worked on our apartment for the rest of the afternoon. We have most of the kitchen and our bedrooms set up, but it doesn't look like it at all. We still have boxes, clothes and random stuff everywhere.

We only have one closet, so trying to find enough room for all of our clothes and to store stuff is proving to be difficult. Once we have everything put up, we are going to see what we need to buy to help with storage and save space.

After moving all day and trying to unpack Erica and I were extremely exhausted. We both passed out at around 10:30 last night. It felt amazing finally being able to sleep in our own beds, room and apartment. I can't wait to post pictures once everything is organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment