Sunday, August 21, 2011

Unexpected Weekend Happenings

When the weekend started, Alexa and I had our weekend plans set. We were going out Friday, trying a new place for brunch Saturday and enjoy Parked at Seaport later that afternoon. (Basically it's an event where they were having all the different food trucks in the city at one location with cheap menu prices for everyone to try their food.) I had been looking forward to it all week and was already excited to blog about it. Well the weekend didn't end up going exactly as planned, but it definitely started out with a bang and ended with a pretty good one as well. 

Alexa and I found a coupon on Scoutmob for 50% off at this bar/restaurant in Union Square that expired on Friday, so we decided we should use it. We showed up and realized it was more of a sports bar and didn't really feel like going in. 

We began wandering around Union Square searching for somewhere else to have dinner. While we were looking for a place, it started raining. We saw a sign for 2 for 1 drink specials and figured it would be a good place to wait for the rain to stop. We went upstairs to Bar 13 and were not ready for what happened over the next hour or so. 

As we walked inside, we immediately realized we did not fit in with this crowd at all. Not wanting to go back out in the rain, we ordered a drink and got ready for some of the best people watching we have ever experienced. 

The one thing this place did have going for it was it had an AWESOME DJ; however, we felt like we were in the beginning scene of Save the Last Dance. While I don't plan on going back anytime soon, I am really happy we stumbled across this random dance club. It definitely gave us some good stories to talk about later. 

After exploring Union, we took a cab back to my neighborhood. Around midnight we still hadn't eaten dinner and were starving. After searching my fridge for food, Alexa decided she wanted to go get something at the diner on the corner. About two minutes after she left, my door buzzer went off. I was surprised she was back so soon. Come to find out she accidentally tripped going down the stairs of my apartment. She hurt her left ankle and right knee. 

When we woke up the next morning, the severity of her fall was made clear to us. Her ankle was completely swollen along with her knee. She tried to walk on it and almost collapsed from being in so much pain. Immediately we knew we weren't going to be doing anything for the rest of the weekend. We hung out at my apartment all day, while she kept both of them iced and elevated. 

This morning we woke up and she could still barely walk. We decided it was time to go to the hospital. After getting the x-rays back, we found out that nothing was broken (hallelujah), but she had severely sprained her ankle and torn some ligaments in her knee. 

She is having to use crutches, which she is not very happy about. I don't blame her though because I'm pretty sure she is the only person in New York right now on crutches. Everywhere we went people stared like they had never seen them before, it was kinda funny, but kinda awkward at the same time.

After getting all bandaged up, we went to brunch. (I mean after all we didn't get to go Saturday and we couldn't wait until next weekend.) We packed up all of her stuff and took a cab to her apartment (she lives about 50 minutes away by Subway, but only 20 by cab). We got her situated with plenty of ice packs and medicine. Hopefully she will be better by this week because her birthday is on Wednesday and celebrating is not an option. 

Since I was cooped up all day yesterday, I decided to walk home from her apartment (about 3.5 miles) and enjoy Central Park. On my way home I caught up with my best friend Haley and enjoyed people watching in the park. I went to Barnes & Noble wanting to buy a new cookbook (I haven't bought a new one in a month and I'm dying), but I couldn't find any good ones on sale. Afterwards, I stopped by Heather's, and caught up with her. I also found a new grocery store semi-near me that is huge and has everything! I bought ingredients to make a soup to eat this week at work. I'm kinda tired right now, so I might just make it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment