Thursday, August 18, 2011

Want to See Me in Waco for Homecoming??

After living in Waco for four years, most people are in no hurry to ever return. That is unless it is Baylor's Homecoming weekend. On this weekend anyone and everyone who went to Baylor returns to see all of their old friends, watch the parade and go to the football game (even though we know we are most likely going to lose).

Whenever I told people I was moving to New York and didn't know when I would see any of them again, they would always respond with "I'll see you at Homecoming." (After all it is a given most of your friends will come back and reunite at Scruff's.) I would respond by telling people I probably wouldn't be able to afford to come back just for Homecoming. It sucked, but I knew it was most likely true. The thought of never knowing when I would see most of my friends again was really sad.

The other day I was talking with my friend Cami and she was trying to convince me to come back and visit. I immediately went through the same spiel and told her I wouldn't be able to afford it. She began to tell me I was wrong. She reminded me I would have a free place to stay, drinks and food are half the price and all I would really need money for was the flight.

This thought began to tempt me. Maybe it would be possible. But then the fact that I don't have a real job reminded me I don't need to be spending money on plane tickets, when I should be saving. Also, how am I going to get money to be able to buy a plane ticket?

I shared my predicament with Alexa and we began to ponder how we could make this Homecoming trip possible. She and I began discussing all the fun we would have and all of our friends we would be able to see again. I started thinking how I could go to T-Park and order the Baylor Roll, eat real Mexican food, have a late night cup of corn from Taco Z with Melodie, go see all the boys at 9th street and hang out with some of my best friends. I finally came up with an idea to make it possible and you aren't allowed to judge me.

Since homecoming is November 4-5, it is during my birthday month (yes I am one of those people who celebrates for the whole month). I decided I am going to set up PayPal on my website and if you would like to donate to the "Send Megan to Waco for Homecoming Fund" or just want to get me a birthday gift, but don't know what to buy me, this is it. I know it sounds kinda lame, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. Plus, even if no one donates, I really have nothing to lose.

I looked up tickets online and the cheapeast I could find were around $315 round trip and they will probably only go up the longer I wait. This is why I am resorting to this method of begging/asking for help. If you don't want to help me out, it's completely understandable, but if you do, I would love you forever.

Having to do this isn't necessarily easy. No one wants to admit they can't afford a single plane ticket. I figure though it's better to set aside my pride if it means I am able to see my friends. So there you have it. Donate or don't donate. Either way I love you all and whatever is supposed to happen will. Maybe I'll see some of you in November, maybe I won't. We will all just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment