Monday, August 15, 2011

Lazy Weekend

Ever since I moved to New York, I have constantly been on the go. There has been something to do every weekend or a friend coming to visit. This past weekend I finally caught up on all my lost sleep over the past month and it felt wonderful.

After work Friday I met up with Alexa and Erica for a few drinks at Three of Cups. It's a quaint restaurant/bar located in East Village. The bartender was extremely nice while we hung out for a couple of hours and told us some other good places in the area to try.

Dying for something to eat, I ordered a mushroom, onion and pepper pizza for dinner. I have never been a huge fan of pizza, but I am starting to order it more often. It tastes better than Domino's and Papa John's I was accustomed to at home. Also, it's usually one of the cheapest items on the menu so that's a plus, too. This pizza wasn't the best I've had, but it also wasn't the worst.

Afterwards we had the bright idea to go see Hamlet in some random parking lot in the area. (For some reason it seemed like a great idea beforehand and Alexa was really excited about it.) Our plan was to show up about 45 minutes early to make sure we had some place to sit, and of course that didn't happen. Fifteen minutes before the show we arrived and found this tiny parking lot packed. We watched the show for about 15 minutes and then decided to give up. We weren't that interested (except for Alexa) and we couldn't hear the actors.

I went home and immediately passed out. It felt so nice to finally sleep in. The next morning Alexa and I continued our usual Saturday tradition of going to brunch. I was craving a waffle for some reason, so we skipped our normal spot and tried somewhere new. We are so glad we did!

We went to the Barking Dog cafe down the street from my apartment and it was delicious. My waffle was perfect with a side of fruit salad and Alexa ordered a chorizo frittata that was amazing. Their Bloody Marys and mimosas were exceptional as well.

We went back to the apartment every so often while Tyler was building us our new kitchen. Since we wanted to stay close by in case he needed anything, we decided to explore my neighborhood this weekend. I walk to and from work every morning, but I don't ever stop to see what's all around me. Alexa and I walked up and down the streets and browsed several boutiques. While most of them were out of our price range, we did happen to find a few in our budget. I found a few dresses I loved, but decided to only purchase one. Alexa found several tops that looked great on her at another store. Needless to say we were both excited we found something.

We went back to my apartment to check on the progress of the kitchen and relax. We wanted to have another chill night and not go out. We decided to go dinner at the York Grill and then see Midnight in Paris after. Dinner was absolutely delicious, especially since we had a coupon for 50% off our meal. We were of course craving something sweet afterwards and stopped in an ice cream shop and ordered an Oreo and Peanut Butter frozen yogurt. It was amazing! It tasted just like a Butterfinger. It was the perfect ending to our meal.

Alexa and I both enjoyed Midnight in Paris. I think we appreciated it more since we have read The Paris Wife. Both the book and movie (not related) are set in Paris in the 1920s. While I enjoyed the movie, it is not something I think I would watch multiple times. I'm still holding out to go see The Help.

Also this weekend Tyler began construction on our new kitchen counter. He spent all day Saturday and Sunday building it for us. He did an incredible job and it looks absolutely amazing. We now have space to cook, store our food, hang our pots, hold our silverware and more. Erica and I are so excited! We can't wait to cook our first meal this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment