Wednesday, August 31, 2011

J. G. Melon's

In past blogs I have told you how much I have wanted to try J. G. Melon's, well it finally happened. It has been featured on The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Burgers by Bobby Flay. This past Sunday Erica and I decided to walk a few blocks over from our apartment and wait the 30 minutes for a table to finally try it.

When we walked inside, it was very crowded. We found the man at the end of the bar taking people's table requests. He was not the most polite man I have ever met, but then again I am in New York. The restaurant is very small and has a cozy feeling to it. The place is decorated in an old school way that is nostalgic and comforting. The kitchen is set up to where it is across from the bar and you can see them cooking. We waited by the bar (the only place you can wait inside) and stared as we saw all the food come out. Since we were both starving, this was probably the hardest part. About 98% of the food that came out was hamburgers, so we instantly knew that's what we wanted.


When we finally sat down, all the tables were pushed as close together as possible. Luckily we were in the corner so we had a little more room than the people next to us. When the waitress came to our table, Erica and I immediately ordered. She ordered a plain hamburger, I ordered the cheeseburger and we split an ordered of cottage house fries. We were so hungry and ready to try these burgers all we could talk about while we waited was the food. Every time a waitress came into the room with food we were desperately hoping it was ours.

When ours finally came, we instantly started dressing our burgers and fries. Between the first and last bites, literally the only words that were spoken were "oh my goodness this is amazing" and at the end we both agreed it was the best burger we had ever had. It has to be true because I don't think I have ever gone a whole meal without talking because the food was so amazing (actually I don't think I have ever gone a whole meal without talking period). Oh and sorry the pictures are so dark!





After the burger, we decided to split a piece of pecan pie. The waitress brought it out and we quickly devoured it as well. The pie was warm and gooey, but still had the crunchiness of the pecans. The only thing that would have made it better was a big scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream.




On most occasions I am not a huge hamburger person. I don't enjoy ordering them at restaurants because they always fall apart on you and are never overly amazing. J. G. Melon's forever changed my mind.

Erica and I can't decide if it's a good thing we live so close or a bad thing. I think I could have one of their hamburgers every week, but I don't know how much my body would like that. We decided it would at least become a monthly tradition to eat there though.

Today I decided to eat my salad in Central Park while I read my new book Alexa bought me. I had a salad with spinach leaves, blackened onions, watercress, beets, cannelloni beans and Italian dressing. To my amazement I found out I actually love beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment