Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Hunt is Over!

Erica and I finally found an apartment! Today could possibly be the best day I've had in the city so far.

Today started like any other day of apartment searching. We had 5 apartments we planned to view and didn't have high hopes. I made an appointment at Manhattan Apartments for 10:00am (www.manhattanapts.com/).

After meeting our broker we had a good feeling. He was very straightforward and promised us he could find us something. I don't know it was, but Erica and I both trusted him.



He took us to view three apartments in the Upper East and told us he thought we would sign on the first one. We had heard this before so we didn't put too much stock in what he said. As we walked in the first apartment we fell in love. There was a couple that was currently living there and were home when we viewed it. We were able to talk to them and ask them questions, which made us feel even more comfortable about the location.



We went and viewed the other ones and then immediately went back to the office to put in an application for the apartment. After filling out all the required paperwork, Erica and I left crossing our fingers that we would get it. A couple of hours later, the broker called and told us the apartment was ours and we could move in August 1st.

The apartment is a 1 bedroom with a living room and kitchen. It is in the Upper East Side and only 3 blocks from the metro station. The area is tree lined, family friendly and safe. Erica and I plan to put both of our beds in the bedroom so we can still have a living room for company.

Once we got the apartment I began to realize how incredibly broke I am now. While finding an apartment is extremely exciting, it is also making me more aware that I don't have enough current income to pay for it without the support of my parents.

I spent the rest of the day applying for jobs all the way from marketing to working as a sales associate in a bakery. I decided that it was better to have a low paying job to at least make some money while I look for a marketing job. I was so stressed after worrying about having a job and applying for so many I took a 3 hour nap.

I woke up and realized that this is supposed to be an exciting time, not a sad one. I went to the local wine store and bought the cheapest bottle of Riesling I could find. (Don't tell my cousin Leslie because she would be disappointed that a) it is white wine and b) that it is so cheap.) I wanted to buy champagne since that is more festive, but that was obviously out of my price range after getting the apartment.



I figured it was better to celebrate with a cheap wine than nothing at all. I'm waiting for Erica to get home from Tyler's so we can open the bottle and go out. Hopefully I can get other guys to buy my drinks all night since it is no longer in my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment