Wednesday, July 13, 2011

8 Down, 22 to Go

You always hear that finding an apartment is New York is bad, but let me tell you, in July it's pretty much miserable. Erica and I spent all day searching for an apartment and still dont't have one. At first, it wasn't too bad because in the morning and early afternoon the weather was nice, but after lunch is when it began to change. Let me give you a brief run down of our day.

We began by taking an hour subway ride to Astoria in Queens to be dissappointed by an apartment, we then took another hour ride to Upper East Side, which after walkimg up a hill and a few miles to where we were meeting a broker we realized we were actually in East Harlem being shown an extremely ghetto apartment. Needless to say we didn't take that one and left before we met the broker. We then took a 30 minute ride to the lower east side to see two more apartments that couldnt fit our beds. All the while the broker from "the upper east" continued to call and text Erica for about 30 minutes wanting to know why we changed our minds. The whole time we were going all over the city we were sweating to death. Every train ride was miserably hot with stgnant air in the metro stations. That definiately added to the wonderfulness of our day. Oh amd we almost got scammed out of $2,900, but luckily Erica's dad saved us.

After all this we came back to our apartment for a little bit because I didnt think I could take anymore. Erica then received a call from a broker in the upper west to see a few places that I agreed to go see with her only if I didnt have to go see another one in Astoria at 7. Well as we figured the first apartment was too small, but the second one is a different story.

This is where our day began to change. The apartment was on the first floor of a walk up (awesome), it had three NORMAL sized bedrooms (PTL), it had a washer, dryer AND a dishwasher (which is very hard to come by for some reason), had an AC unit already installed (a big plus, it was only 1 block away from Central Park (it can't get better than that) and it had windows in all the bedrooms. We were so excited we wanted to sign right then! Unfortunately the broker decided to break our hearts and tell us the rent was $2,990 a month. Completely out of our price range. We tried to negotiate a lower price, but since it was just on the market today they wouldn't budge. We walked away so upset. We finally found the perfect apartment size with a great location, but we can't afford it. Figures. We know what we want is out there though so we won't give up.

I walked back to the subway station to go to our apartment while Erica went to see another apartment with Erin in Astoria. On the way home I was so parched I stopped at Starbucks to get a drink, hoping it would perk me up. As I waited to pay, the lady just told me to take it. She said they were about to close and just to not worry about. It was so amazing that after having such a disappointing day, this lady made me feel so much better and not even know it. I told her thank you and that she had no idea how badly I needed it.

As I walked back to my apartment and all I could think about was how God always reminds people He is there for them. It may be something small, but He always knows how to encourage us right when we need it. After such long day, that simple act of kindness made my day feel so much better.

As soon as I got back to the apartment I immediately passed put. I'm feeling better, but I still think I could sleep another 10 hours haha. Erica and I agreed to sleep past 9:00 tomorrow to catch up on our rest because we know we have a ton more apartments to look at before we find one. People say you have to look at 30 before you find the right one. Well, after these past two days I think we should be close (fingers crossed).

P.S. To top our day off our Internet went out today too. So if there's any typos it's because this was done on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment