Friday, October 28, 2011

The Real Deal

So if you keep up with my blog or me, you know I have been working two jobs for the past month and half. While it has been overwhelming and stressful at times, I have loved it. Well my job situation is changing, yet again. I have recently been offered a full-time position at a media agency in the city!

My boss at the Met has been very supportive and has allowed me to end my temp job here early. She understood that I should not pass up a career opportunity and could not guarantee me a job here at the end of December. This was so amazing because it was a HUGE factor in whether I was going to take the job or not. You have no idea how badly I stressed over talking to her about it and leaving the Met early (I wasn't able to sleep and was physically making myself sick over it). After all it is very scary to leave a job you love, even if it is temporary, for one that you only think you will like.

So now about my new job. I will be the new assistant media planner for two luxury goods accounts. My first day will be Monday, November 14th.  I am going to continue to work at the Met and Tory until then. The company wanted me to start sooner, but I pushed it back a bit. I wanted to wait to start until after my trip to Waco and my mom came in town. That way I don't have to use up any of my vacation days. Also, I sincerely enjoy working at the Met so it will be nice to have an extra week or two with the girls in my office.

Everyone I have met at the company so far has been amazing. They are very open about me moving up within the company, saying this is a starter position and most people are promoted within a year or so. They also said after I had been at the company a while, they were willing to work with me if I wanted to move to different departments or work on different accounts. They are allowing me to do as much or as little as I want. I feel like this job will be an amazing experience and I will truly learn a lot from it. I know I will be able to grow here and it will help my career for the future.

The main downsides (besides having to leave the Met) are the pay and location. The salary is much less than I was looking for, but hopefully I will prove myself and will move up quickly. I'm going to have to start out this salary eventually, so I figure it's better to get it over with than continue to postpone the inevitable. I'm just nervous with winter and Christmas coming up (I literally don't own "real" winter clothes and I'm obsessed with buying people multiple Christmas gifts). I finally decided the sooner I took the pay cut though, the sooner I can get to higher positions for it to be increased. God always provides me with everything I need anyways. This will also help teach me how to better budget my money (my dad will love that haha). 

The other downside is that it is about 45 minutes from my apartment. I will definitely no longer be able to walk to work, which will probably turn out for the best with winter quickly approaching. I also figure that I don't plan on living in my current apartment/neighborhood forever, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Who knows, this time next year I could be living on the west side. Also, since it is so far, I won't be able to work at Tory Burch at night during the week. This was kinda sad since I am taking a pay cut; I wanted to be able to have more money coming in from somewhere else.

After stressing out about these and many other things for over a week, I decided this was an excellent opportunity I couldn't pass up. I believe it will lead me to great places and they are offering me many opportunities that most other companies would not in the same position. Plus it's going to be nice to be able to tell people I have a real job. I feel like I'm finally growing up lol. I'm sad I only have a few weeks left at the Met, but I can't wait to start my new job and career!

No comments:

Post a Comment