Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Laughter Heals the Soul

Often times after graduating college, you lose touch with many of your friends. Work, distance, new friends, dislike of talking on the phone by some, and just life in general somehow always seem to get in the way of making time to catch up. This has been especially true for me since I moved and work all the time.

The past few weeks though I have caught up with several of my friends from school and have loved it. Catching up with the boys is probably the best. Even though most guys don't enjoy talking on the phone, I think we have had some of the best conversations. I have laughed harder during some of those 20 minute phone calls than I have in months. I literally can't keep myself from smiling and feeling happy during and after our chats.

I have Grant to remind me how stupid boys can be and always responds to my texts at 2:00am when I want to tell him about a dumb guy. He always makes me laugh and reminds me that these boys aren't worth it. Then there is Mark who I can banter with back and forth and always call him out. I'm sure our conversations sound harsh to outsiders, but we are laughing the entire time. I have Blaine to call me out on everything and then ask me the real questions about life. Kevin and I have been friends since we were three and it's always nice to know I have that go-to person who understands me and will listen. There are plenty of others, but I'm sure you probably don't care (in fact, I'm sure someone will call me and make fun of this blog in general, but I don't care).

While it is always good to catch up with old friends, I have needed it even more this past couple of weeks. I have been overly stressed and missing all my friends beyond words. It's hard living in a huge city with no one to talk to or who truly understands you most of the time. My friends have helped me forget everything and just love life. They have literally helped me be happy again and feel joy down in my soul (I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true).

The amazing thing is they made me feel so much better without having to do anything or even knowing it. With these types of friendships it doesn't always have to be a deep intense heart to heart talk to mean something. Just being able to talk, laugh, and sarcastically banter with them was enough.

Each time after talking with them, I have truly felt refreshed about life. They have reminded me why true friendships should never be taken for granted. I can't wait to see all of them next week and be able to enjoy a whole weekend of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment